Heading out on the Camino Frances at this time of year can be ‘tricky’ regarding weather. The Spanish authorities regard the route over the Pyrenees as closed until 1st April each year, and any Pilgrims requiring rescue before this date can be liable to hefty fines and costs. And this year (2018) they are still advising not to use the route yet.
On the 12th April 8 Pilgrims required rescue!
Photo courtesy of Bomberos Navarra. https://twitter.com/bomberos_na
Severe flooding has also been a problem.
We’re keeping a close eye on the weather and it seems to be improving, so our start from St Jean on 25th April should be OK.
For anyone contemplating using the Napolean Route (the high pass) from St Jean at this time of year please do keep an eye on weather reports and also make sure you check in at the Pilgrims Office in St Jean at 39 Rue de la Citadelle. They will have up to date information on conditions. If they advise NOT To use the Napolean Route, please don’t. The lower route through the valley via Valcarlos is just as scenic so I’m told, though the steep hill comes at the end not the start! And of course the route is easier to break into two days should you wish to start at a gentler pace. (do consult your guide book for details)
Weather Forecast Sites for your Camino Frances
These are the sites I use to check just prior to departure and also whilst walking.
Good for Napolean Route: https://www.viewweather.com/w1781825-weather-forecast-for-col_de_bentarte-spain_general_.html
And some more general sites: